From 12 Reasons Why Gender Matters to Understanding Teenage Sexting (Ignoring for the moment the “12 reasons” number in the clickbait title):
- More than 50% of kids admit to sexting, and 28% share photographs.
- 75% of kids who send naked images believe it will go no further than the one they send it to
- One in five sexters, male and female, report being coerced into sending sexual messages.
- Boys are between 2 to 3 times more likely to share sexts without consent.
- Sports teams are often at the heart of sexting scandal rings.
- A 13-year-old boy knows he can sell, for $5.00 a pop, pictures of his eighth-grade girlfriend.
- Boys are trading girls’ images like baseball cards, barely even looking at them.
- Families and schools often hold girls solely responsible when sexts are shared without their consent