The deletion discussion continues for the Ira Matetsky article. Also, is Cynthia Rapp, the original creator of Matetsky’s law journal, and the probable source of Supreme Court insider information for its continued publication, more Notable than NYB? Inquiring minds want to know.
More sea-drift from the ever-shifting sands of the google algorithm tide:
- An interview with Ira Matetsky as the Werowance of Wolfe Pack, the Rex Stout fan club, in which we find out that “‘Werowance’ was reportedly a title used by the chiefs of some American Indian tribes, and it is a title or nickname by which Nero Wolfe’s assistant, Archie Goodwin, addresses Mr. Wolfe in one of the greatest of Rex Stout’s detective novels, TOO MANY COOKS (1938).” So not a straightforward case of cultural appropriation. Also, NYB prefers hard copies to e-books, which makes me think “Keep per IAR” would be a good close–GNG is only a guideline after all.
So, what about WP:AUTHOR? Is NYB notable for his books?
- Matetsky is listed as co-author on at least one of the Rex Stout series, just for being the editor. It’s a trick some publishers use to put something under copyright after the original copyright expires. You can read his forward to the anthology “The Last Drive and other stories” here, it’s not bad. Reviews from Goodreads here.
- Matetsky is listed as an author of The Green Bag Almanac & Reader 2015, which turns out to be another anthology, but he actually did write one of the articles contained in it: “The Adventure of the New York World”, by Ira Brad Matetsky.
- “The Adventure of the New York World”, by Ira Brad Matetsky. is here, an essay about research into the Sherlock Holmes short story “The Adventure of the Norwood Builder.” It is also listed in the contents here, along with an essay “The Adventure of the Second Strand”, about another Holmes short story “The Adventure of the Reigate Squire.”
- Matetsky is listed as an author on “2012 Green Bag Almanac & Reader Paperback – 2011 by
- Is NYB notable as a scholar? Perhaps he is widely cited? He actually does have two scholarly works to his credit, both Greenbag-related, but unfortunately no one has cited him yet.
- Essay: Three Legal Aspects of “The Norwood Builder” by Ira Brad Matetsky in “Issue Two September 2016 – Hudson Valley Sciontists” A Sherlock Holmes newsletter.
- A letter to the editor of Greenbag, about the Antonin Scalia’s beard. Another letter about Rex Stout’s and Justice Scalia’s dislike of Webster’s Third. An essay about the Waite Fund for Amelia Waite, the widow of Justice Morrison Waite. And essay about the Harlan Fund, for Malvina Shanklin Harlan, the widow of justice John Marshall Harlan. The funds for these widows and their families was raised largely by donations from New York lawyers.
- Walden Hughes and Patricia from Florida interview Brad Metestky, President of the Nero Wolfe Society. May 5, 2018. https://soundcloud.com/walden-hughes/yusa-saturday-night-first-pc-5-5-18-with-patricia-guest-ira-brad-matetsky
- Gives a quote on Trump about Amazon stocks https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tough-to-sue-trump-for-amazon-tweets-says-expert-2018-04-03
- (UPDATE) Oh and I have found the Volokh Conspiracy blog posts. NYB is no longer searchable on their website as an author, since they went through some changes, first to a sub-section of the Washington Post, then to reason.com “a libertarian monthly print magazine” that IIRC was pro-gamergate. http://volokh.com/posts/chain_1242098183.shtml
So what about Cynthia Rapp, are we anywhere closer to notability for her, or are people just not salivating for it quite as much?
Unlike NYB, Cynthia Rapp actually has a newspaper piece about her, not just citing her. In the deletion discussion, Tony Ballioni gets really anal about “coverage”, but he is correct, the article is not “coverage” of NYB, it is “coverage” of Wikipedia, that just happens to cite NYB as a knowledgeable insider. In other words, NYB is a frequent spokesperson for Wikipedia, which does not translate to notability, even though it is in a reliable source. Or does it? Sean Spicer has an article. Sarah Huckabee Sanders has one. Even Anthony Scaramucci gets one. Why shouldn’t Wikipedia’s main press secretary and apologist get one?
Back to Cynthia Rapp.
- She got extensive coverage in Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1996/02/24/the-clerk-of-last-appeals/386d6ea3-6648-46c0-8274-3af7f7750337/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.85dae4dada02
- In 2014, a writeup in Reveille. https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/publications/reveille/Reveille_Winter14.authcheckdam.pdf
- In 2014 the clerk’s office was restructured and her roles in that office were published. https://www.supremecourt.gov/publicinfo/press/ClerksOffice.pdf Another undated mention here: https://www.cocklelegalbriefs.com/blog/supreme-court/reorganized-supreme-court-clerks-office/
- There was a May 2007 mention of some recognition here: “[T]here was a large and enthusiastic turnout at Georgetown University Law Center April 26 as the Supreme Court Institute recognized four senior officials of the Clerk’s Office: Chief Deputy Clerk Chris Vasil, Deputy Clerk Gary Kemp, Deputy Clerk Cynthia Rapp, and Denise McNerney, the merits clerk. Even Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg stopped by to shake their hands.” https://abovethelaw.com/2007/05/craiglist-poster-faces-stiff-competition-for-hottie-clerks-heart/ The original article now gone, but at one time behind a paywall. https://web.archive.org/web/20070901010849/http://www.law.com/jsp/dc/PubArticleDC.jsp?id=1178010277675
- Mentioned in 2011 in connection with the Supreme Court Summer Institute for Teachers http://streetlaw.org/en/newsroom/Article/249/Supreme_Court_Institute_teachers_witness__Walmart_v_Dukes__and__Brown_v_EMA__decisions
- She has a WorldCat identity, mostly for the various editions of the 3-volume “A collection of in chambers opinions by the Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States”, but she also has a video: Capital case issues update.
- “A collection of in chambers opinions by the Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States” Volume 1 (474 pages) : http://www.greenbag.org/green_bag_press/in-chambers%20opinions/In%20Chambers%20Opinions%20-%201%20Rapp%20-%202001.pdf cited here: http://www.ohioacte.org/Resources/Documents/The%20Supreme%20Court%20of%20the%20United%20States-%20printable%20and%20e%20copy.pdf on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/COLLECTION-CHAMBERS-OPINIONS-JUSTICES-1925-2000/dp/0967756855
- The Public Lawyer Index (The Public Lawyer, the magazine of the ABA Government and Public Sector Lawyers Division.) Rapp, Cynthia, “Volunteer Legal Services and Government and Public Sector Attorneys.” Vol. 2, No. 1-2, Summer 1994 also paywall here: http://www4.floridabar.org/DIVCOM/JN/JNJournal01.nsf/Author/AFD23F069F5DF8D485256ADB005D6080 full text PDF (capcha) http://hn1.giga-lib.com/HOL/Page?handle=hein.journals/pubilaw2&id=27&collection=journals&index=
per this source she is also chair for 1994-1995 Membership committee of Government and Public Sector Lawyers Division
- Center for Judicial Accountability , Inc. White Plains, New York (?) https://www.zoominfo.com/p/Cynthia-Rapp/26862071 https://www.zoominfo.com/c/center-for-judicial-accountability-inc/22827661
- Council member of Federal Bar Association, Capitol Hill Chapter http://www.fedbar.org/Chapters/Capitol-Hill-Chapter/Officers.aspx thanked for involvement in annual luncheon http://www.fedbar.org/Chapters/Capitol-Hill-Chapter/Programs-Events/Annual-Supreme-Court-Luncheon.aspx
- Promoted to colonel March 13, 2009, p.5 photo http://www.fedbar.org/Image-Library/Chapters/Capitol-Hill-Chapter/Newsletters/09%20summer%20newsletter.aspx https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CREC-2008-07-30/html/CREC-2008-07-30-pt1-PgS7799.htm
- Harassed by crackpot Orly Taitz, who Wikipedia describes as a conspiracy theorist. LOL this one is “nofollow”. http://www(DOT)orlytaitzesq(DOT)com/update-supreme-court-clerk-cynthia-rapp/
Bonus!! CV for Cynthia’s and Ira’s co-author Ross E. Davies http://www.rossdavies.org/cv/davies%20cv.pdf
The following is Rapp, Cynthia, “Volunteer Legal Services and Government and Public Sector Attorneys.” Vol. 2, No. 1-2, Summer 1994, the entire PDF file is at the end
Download PDF file of above: CynthiaRappVolunteerLegal