I have just started wading through the glossy charts and maps on the newly released “Gender Diversity Mapping Project” (on Wikimedia blog) and realized an online chat event for tomorrow has just been added to the report.
This blog post has been updated to add the upcoming community event on 9 October 2018.
The time of the event is 15:55 UTC, which is 5 minutes to 4 UTC, or 11:55 am EDT in New York or 8:55 AM EPT San Fran time. (Daylight time ends November 4 in the U.S.) Event is now online here.
At the risk of attracting all the assorted weirdos and control freaks on Sucks and Wikipediocrazy who refer to women as “gender bitches” and gloat over intimidating women with rapey talk about vulgar words for genitalia, I am posting the links here. The project so far seems narrowly tailored to lesbian women, but I believe it needs a wider awareness.
So, any advice? Should I join in? If so, what name should I use? Genderdesk? A name associated with a user name? A new completely anonymous name?
There seems to be an option to join by voice. Should I try to use the Blue Jeans software or the Youtube? Is there some way to change your voice so it is not recognizable? Should I try to record this if they are not recording it themselves? How?
Are there any specific questions that need to be asked? (They want you to start out by telling them why you think they’re important.)
I am pasting the whole page below for convenience.
What are the most pressing issues currently facing the Wikimedia movement with respect to advancing gender equity? What strategies are effective for closing the gender gap in content and contributors? What work has already been done?
Join us for a virtual community event on October 9 to hear how 65 prominent leaders of gender equity projects responded to these and other questions. We’ll discuss highlights from the recently published report, Advancing Gender Equity: Conversations with movement leaders, and share ways that you can support gender equity projects in your communities.
Join the event
Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 1555-1700 UTC. Please join 5 minutes before the hour to allow for troubleshooting any technical issues.
- Join the live video conference event through Blue Jeans software. This option will allow you to interact by voice during the workshop.
- Please join by 1555 UTC to allow time for troubleshooting connection problems.
- Participate in live polling during the event through Mentimeter software:
- Code will be provided during presentation.
- Watch the video recording through YouTube software.
- Why are you here today? Why is it important to you to hear the perspectives of gender equity leaders?
- Is there anything that surprised you in this report?
- Is there anything that sounds really familiar to you?
- What is, to you, the most important finding?
- How can you see this report impacting or changing the work you do within Wikimedia?
- What are 1, 2 or 3 next steps that you can take in the near future?