Magdalen Berg was a British activist notable for her contributions to transgender issues, published via a series of videos.
Berg grew up in London, and attended university at Edinburgh, graduating in physics. While at university she contributed to various programming projects, and won three boxing titles. She died at the age of 36, of a rare type of brain tumor.
Controversies at Edinburgh
Conflict with Edinburgh University Students Association (EUSA) in 2015: http://www.butterfliesandwheels.org/2016/guest-post-let-them-call-me-whorephobic/ Issues centered on
self-definition and the Scottish prostitution question.
Issues from this source (guest editorial by Berns):
- ” LGBT Liberation group’s statement of support for infamous drag ‘ban’ of Glasgow LGBT Pride 2015. ” “…offended by Bern’s suggestion that T ought to have sought a mandate from the rest of LGB before publishing under the LGBT banner.”
- EUSA supported “full decriminalisation of “sex workers” and “third parties” including pimps, traffickers and men who pay for unwanted sex.
- EUSA collaboration with full decriminalisation lobby group Scot-PEP,… silencing criticism of the sex industry in EUSA “safe space”.
- Berns’ advocacy of the Nordic Model
- Berns’ interview by the Feminist Society (FemSoc) had “trigger warnings” place on her interview response for “cissexism” and “whorephobia”
- ran for position of Women’s Liberation convenor, but lost to the pro-human trafficking candidate, 75 to 73, out of 15,000 female students at UoE after men were allowed to vote, according to “EUSA’s commitment to self-definition“
- “established a Fourth Wave Edinburgh Feminist Activists (EFA) group with other feminists”
- formed “Sexual Exploitation working group and submitted a response to the Prostitution Law Reform (Scotland) Bill which proposes repealing protections against coercion”
Candidates – Edinburgh University Students’ Association: Megan Atkins. Magdalen Berns (need to register account) https://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/representation/elections/elections2016/candidates/
FemSoc does EUSA By-Elections: Questions to Women’s Liberation Convenors Candidates https://edunifeminists.wordpress.com/2015/10/12/femsoc-does-eusa-by-elections-questions-to-womens-liberation-convenors-candidates/
University Feminists Are Betraying Their Movement’s Liberal Past: “For opposing the legalisation of the sex trade, dissident feminist Magdalen Berns has been banned from future feminist society events. Feminists on campus have treated her like a sub-human traitor to women.” https://quillette.com/2016/04/02/university-feminists-are-betraying-their-movements-liberal-past/
” She is a lesbian and has gone up against Ada J Wells and been banned from the Edinburgh LGBT society. ” https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/2715832-magdalen-berns Ada J Wells: https://www.thecollegefix.com/student-leader-says-cops-killed-dallas-sniper-bastards-draws-outrage/ ” Ada, who is trans and prefers to be called “they”, labelled women with vaginas as “cuntscum”, has also called women who refuse to have sex with gender-neutral people with a penis – like Ada – transphobes, and has advocated for them to be expelled from the University of Edinburgh.” https://thetab.com/uk/edinburgh/2016/08/23/ada-wells-resigns-eusas-lgbt-officer-25017 https://genderidentitywatch.com/2016/03/14/ada-j-wells-adajwells-uk/ http://www.studentvoices.co.uk/2017/03/outrage-at-ex-nus-delegate-who.html
“…describes herself as ‘a critic of religion, capitalism, identity politics, conservatism, neoliberalism and socially imposed gender norms.’” https://theothermccain.com/2017/12/29/the-problem-with-gender-equality-and-how-sjws-reached-their-stalingrad/
” Ironically, it is university students who seem to be leading the charge — bullying radical feminist students into silence, banning women from their campuses for challenging liberal doctrine (something Magdalen Berns speaks to in her talk, as she was banned from just about every women’s and LGTB group at the University of Edinburgh in her final year — an institution that has apparently placed a “trigger warning” on radical feminism itself).” https://www.feministcurrent.com/2016/09/27/need-braver-feminists-challenge-silencing/
More social media with profile
- Profile on Tumblr: “… simplifying complicated issues to make them accessible. ” https://theviolentfembot.tumblr.com/post/171379165682/magdalen-berns-description-this-channel-is-about
- Profile, same as tumblr but with videos listed : https://iq.vlip-boxes.lv/channel/1B8QCU9otQmrfqw2aVwv9XoVwhxtxBxK.html
- 2011 women championship, women’s novice 54 kg. http://c1593.r93.cf3.rackcdn.com/Womens_Entries_2011_-_Feb_13.pdf
- However, in the only women’s final, at bantamweight, Edinburgh’s Magdalene Berns was well beaten on points by the more technically accomplished Sinead Sheehan of Aberdeen.” https://www.scotsman.com/sport/boxing-uni-show-turns-destructive-1-1225020
- ABS Women’s Squad Training https://www.boxingscotland.org/abs-womens-squad-training/
- Lesbian Strength march in Leeds Sept. 7, 2019 using banner borrowed from Berns, speech by Nicole Jones in honour of Magdalen Berns: https://forwomen.scot/08/09/2019/lesbian-strength-march/
- ‘Inconvenient Women’ @Camden Town Hall 13/6/18. Magdalen Berns spoke at this during the comments, to much applause, there is also a video over an hour long including comments, but this is a description/summary of the speakers http://lilymaynard.com/inconvenient-women-camden-town-hall-13-6-18/
- YouTube channel stats https://www.videoamigo.com/channel-directory/UCvTTakI97sQ4SkMnsH8r0qQ.amigo
Note: Crossposted to RIP Magdalen Berns https://genderdesk.wordpress.com/2019/09/14/rip-magdalen-berns/